Tags: bite, bone, bones, cervial, diseases, drink, drugs, eat, esophagus, food, growing, health, joints, medications, muscles, neck, pressing, spur, swallow, time

bone spur pressing on esophagus

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Muscles & Bones/Joints Diseases

3,472 words with 5 Comments; publish: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:39:00 GMT; (900110.35, « »)

I have a bone spur growing on the cervial part of my neck and every time I eat I have to swallow many, many times and drink to get a bite of food down. The spur presses on my esophagus and the the act of swallowing causes the spur to push right into my esophagus causing great difficulty in swallowing. Is surgery the only way out? Are there other people out there who has this problem or have had surgery to correct this? I have no pain whatsoever associated with this but swallowing seems to be getting worse and I actually don't enjoy eating anymore and am always glad to get it over with. Please help and if there is anyone out there who has had surgery to correct this problem, does it leave a scar and is it painful or dangerous? Thanks, Faye

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 5 Comments
    • This is the first i've geard of such a thing.

It would depend on how much trouble the spur is giving me.

#1; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:32:00 GMT
    • I have never heard of this before either. But I wonder if anyone has checked your thyroid. An enlarged thyroid will cause swallowing difficulty. I could also see a herniation causing this problem, but a spur?

I would get a second opinion on this one.

#2; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:33:00 GMT
    • I was seeing a surgeon to see about removing half my thyroid because of muliple nodules, he refused but sent me to have an upper GI and now says I have a bone spur on the underside of my spine that is pressing on my esophogaus and My primary will have to refer me to another surgeon. I has to come off because it is gagging me.
      #3; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:34:00 GMT
    • My mother had a cervical bone spur. It was on the back side of the spine and was pinching a nerve, not causing trouble swallowing. She was able to get it removed. It was one-day surgery and they went in through the back. Not a piece of cake exactly, but definitely worth it for pain relief.

I had a cervical bone spur on the front. It gave me no symptoms but I did have a herniated disc in the same area that gave me all kinds of trouble so I had the disc removed and they took care of the bone spur at the same time. They went in through the front of my neck. I was in the hospital only one night.

Both surgeries will cause scars, but mine in the front is almost invisible two years later. Mom's is more noticable, I think because she tans there.

You mght find more info on the spine board. There are a lot of people there with cervical spine problems.

#4; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:35:00 GMT
    • To the Two of You with the Cervical Bone Spurs,

I hope I'm not responding to a dead thread because the message dates seem to bounce back and forth between 04 and 05. Anyway:

The bone spurs on the anterior c-spine which you speak of are characteristic of Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis. The swallowing issue is referred to as dysphasia. The disease is a form of Degenerative Arthritis which was only classified in 1997 although it appears to have been around for quite a long time. DISH is also known as Ankylosing Hyperostosis, Forestier's Disease and a number of other names. There are about five subsets which are characterized by how they affect the body. One can be fatal.

The cause is unknown and the treatment is essentially the same as arthritis --treat for inflamation and pain. Some people have it, don't even know it and aren't bothered by it. If you run a search the information is limited and mostly Pollyannish. I wont go on but if anyone is out there and is interested in learning more I'd be glad to continue the thread for a bit.

dootag